I'm a web developer living in Karlsruhe, Germany and currently working for the 1&1 Internet AG. If you would like to contact me, here's my mail address: feedbackrsternagel.de
Things that thrill me
- Open Source over Closed Source
- Open Web (Platform) over Closed Web Technologies
- Evolutionary Design over Speculative Design
- Agile over Waterfall
- An elegant, well-conceived editor (e.g Vim) over a (too big) IDE
- REST over SOAP (if several other WS-* standards aren't needed)
- JSON over XML (if used as structured data interchange format and things like namespaces, or mixed content aren't explicitly needed)
- RelaxNG over XML Schema (if no special feature of XML-Schema is needed)
- NoSQL DBs over RDBMSs (if appropriate e.g. ACID-Features aren't mission critical)
- DVCS (e.g. Git or Mercurial) over centralized VCS (e.g. SVN or CVS)
- No code (if possible) over some code
- As few code as possible over too much code (YAGNI & KISS)
- Reusing stuff over NIH
That is, while there is value in the items on the right, I value the items on the left more.
I like listening to music (mostly guitar based music, i.e. Blues, Blues-Rock, Indie, Folk, Alternative), going to concerts, reading books, watching movies (mostly art house) and swimming. Reoccurring genres I like when reading books or watching movies include, but are not limited to science-fiction/mystery and film noir. Themes I like are dystopian and cyber punk. Every once in a while I really enjoy playing computer games, which could be good role playing games (loved Planescape Torment and Gothic series), first person shooter/sneaker (loved Max Payne and Thief series). I play Guitar but unfortunately at an beginner/intermediate level.
About this site
The header image cut out is gratefully used from an image by Jose Manuel | Mazintosh.
Great books which helped to create this blog: